I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com


Monday, April 19, 2010

I can answer that...

I recently read a blog entitled, "How?" I read the title of this blog and immediately knew what the post was going to be about. This blogger was wondering how all her friends were able to stay home with their babies, but she had to go to work everyday. Ugh, I can totally relate!

I know her exact feeling, because there are often times I feel the exact same way! It is such a horrible feeling knowing that someone else is basically raising your child Monday thru Friday and you get her/him just in the evenings and on the weekends (like a custody arrangement). It is just not fair! It feels like the child-care provider is getting to see all the "firsts" in YOUR child's life...first step, first time she sat up on her own, first on-purpose smile, first word...etc. No matter how many times you try to get your little peanut to do those things in your presence, it's inevitable, they do in front of everyone but you. :(

So, to answer her question - in my opinion, as a full-time working mother - SACRIFICE! As a mother (working or not) you learn so much about sacrifice. I have noticed that most of the stay-at-home moms I know have to do a lot of sacrifice in order to stay home with their little ones. They might have to sacrifice shopping, eating out, going out with friends, getting a hair cut, going to the zoo or on vacations. Some moms would say, "big deal!" Now, having said that, I am certainly not saying that any of that is wrong, I am simply saying that most stay-at-home moms probably have to sacrifice certain things in order to get to stay home full time. Right? Now, the plus side to all that sacrifice is that they are the sole care-giver to their babies. LUCKY - what I would give!

Now, myself, being a working mother I see the other side. Because I work, my husband and I have been able to be a little free with our money (not very I mind you). I decided that for me personally, being able to go to Target on a regular basis, getting a mani/pedi, buying toys for Peanut or being blessed enough to go on family vacations was worth me going to work. I would hate to stay home with Lyla but not be able to go out and do fun things with her every now and then. Now the decision for me to go back to work after Lyla was born was a little easier for me to make because we really had no choice, we needed my income. :)

Again, I'm not saying that all stay-at-home moms are on a tight budget (shoot, Mark and I are on a tight budget and we both work) or that that is even a bad thing, I'm simply saying (to those working moms), you working is making is possible for you to provide for your little one. There is obviously a reason we are working - it's certainly NOT because we want to. But I have to admit, walking into the daycare to get Lyla after work and seeing her face light up, as she come running to me to pick her up is totally worth it!!! Just knowing she missed me...AAHHH...best feeling after a long day at work!

All parents, working or not, scarifice! Me staying at home would not benefit my family, but it might yours. My heart goes out to all the working mothers who hate working. And to those stay-at-home moms, cherish that time (I'm sure you do) and love on your babies a little more today. :) Be thankful the Lord has made it possible for you to stay home (I'm sure you are). I think that is a hugh blessing!


No comments:

Post a Comment