I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com


Monday, May 3, 2010

Storm Stories

So this weekend was pretty eventful. I had Friday off, as per usual, so Lyla and I just hung out with baby Ruby most of the day. I tried to get all of Lyla's things ready so she could go to the camper with Mamaw and Papaw for the night, as Mark and I had other plans and needed a sitter. Well I got all of Lyla's clothes ready and packed and away we went.

After dropping Lyla off with Mamaw I headed back home to finish the laundry and work on the house a bit, until Mark got home. As I pulled up to the drive the hubs called me and said our plans had changed for Saturday and I should pack an overnight bag - when he got home we would head up to the camper for the evening. YAY! I was a happy camper (no pun intended). So, I got the laundry finished and the bag packed and when Mark got home around 8:30 we left for Sugar Mill Lake.

As we pulled up to the camper around 10:30p there was a fire, people around sed fire and brisk cool air. Love it! Mamaw Mary was attempting to put Peanut down to bed (good luck with that, Mamaw)! I went in the camper and sat with Lyla for a bit while she finished watching Happy Feet. By the end of the movie she was out for the count. ::sigh::

Mark and I sat out by the fire and chatted for a while then headed off to bed in the other camper.

--Side note, my in-laws have 2 campers right by each other, since the family is so big and they wanted everyone to have a place to stay if they visited.--

So, Lyla wanted to stay in Mamaw and Papaw's camper, of course! So, Mark and I had to other camper to ourselves. So we went into to bed and drifted off to sleep.

Well, shortly thereafter I was awakened by horrible lightening and rolling thunder. I was officially freaked out! Not because of the actual storm (i ALWAYS sleep right thru storms like this), but because we were a little vulnerable at that particular point. We were in the middle of a huge field, in a tin box basically with no "real" shelter to hide from a potential tornado.

The storm rolled thru around 2:30a and didn't seem to let up until 3:00am or even after. I literally felt the camper move several times and it felt like the storm was right on top of us. And to make matters way worse, I was worried Lyla was awake in the other camper (not even 20ft away from us) and I couldn't get to her. I kept looking over there to see if I could see anything or anyone moving around. I was worried she was up crying out for me (as she tends to do when she is scared or hurt) or just scared in general and could not calm down without me.

As the storm carried on and I was no longer in bed but sitting up on the couch looking out the window at the other camper, I noticed Mark was moving around in the bed. About that time there was a huge crash of thunder and the power went out - or so we thought. Mark said, "welp, there goes the power!" Then he rolled over again and said, "oh, never mind, the blanket just covered up the little night-light at the side of the bed. LOL We both lost it. At that point, it felt really good to laugh!

Well a little bit later, Mark finally convinced me to come back to bed and stop worrying. We prayed for a few minutes and then I drifted back off to sleep.

The next morning we woke up and raced over to the other camper to hug Lyla and apologize for her keeping my in-laws up, as I was certain she did. Mary said she slept right thru and they didn't hear a peep from her the entire night. I was a happy camper (again, no pun intended) and we then got dressed and headed to get some breakfast in a nearby town. All was good in the world once again.

Moral of this long pointless story - don't do drugs! Kidding (lol).

Until next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment